Tuesday, April 5, 2011

If you want something done right..DO IT YOURSELF!

October 2007: After weeks of researching natural remedies for Hashimoto's Disease I came across hundreds of herbs,vitamins and minerals that could possibly help. The problem is where do you start? I didn't want to try tons of different things and waste money on something that might not work. More than anything I didn't have the time to play trial and error with all these options as I was far too ill to have to wait for months to see what would work. One day I came across and random article about the trace mineral called Selenium. I had been praying for a natural way to overcome this disease and when I read this article I had a overwhelming feeling that I should try it. The article suggested taking 200 mcg of Selenium with 400IU of Vitamin E. So I went online to the Vitamin shop I use and purchased some. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!! In 4 days of taking it my panic attacks stopped! 8 days later I had an appointment with a new Endocrinologist who retested my blood. My results were that my TSH had dropped to 5.3 The Endo warned me that this probably was just a fluke and that it could have dropped because I took Synthroid for 5 days the month before and not to get my hopes up। Well...I got my hopes up!
Side note: People with hashimoto's disease should not take iodine supplements. Iodine is very inflammatory if you have hashimoto's disease.

4 comments:

  1. SOOOO happy I found your site!!! Your story is almost IDENTICAL to mine, I was just recently diagnosed with "sub-clinical" hypothyroidism (my TSH was 6.1) and was put on Synthroid I went to a endocrinologist who tested my TPO antibodies and found I was positive for hashimotos, they took me OFF the synthroid and said they are going to just "monitor" my levels (AKA waiting for my thyroid to get destroyed??), in the meantime my NP started me on Zoloft two days ago because she thinks it will help my anxiety I have been having (palpitations, panic attacks..same as you!). I HATE being on meds so I am going to try out your supplement advice and see where I am at when they check my levels again. I am also going to cut out soy and dairy and see if that helps as well! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Crystal!
    My name is Christina, I am so excited I found your blog because I have been diagnosed with this and I have been doing so much research on how to help it. I see that you recommend 200 mcg of Selenium and 400 of Vitamin E. I would like to start with this however I am 19 and wondered if you suggested a lower dosage, let me know, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal:
    I have a question that requires an immediate response as I'm just a little confused and trying to order the same supplements you take. The Vitamin E capsules you take say on the label that they are made with Soybean Oil; however, other places in your blog, you state Soybean Oil is toxic to the thyroid in Hashimoto's. Does your Vitamin E contain Soybean Oil? Thank you for your quick response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I posted the wrong link! I just fixed it! I take a Natural dry Vitamin E that does not have soy in it! :)

      Delete