Monday, May 9, 2011

Leaky gut!

Sounds nasty right?

Well when my doctor found out that I was allergic to dairy he talked to me about something called leaky gut syndrome. He went on to explain how this is connected to food allergies and autoimmune disease. A woman wrote a great post about this in her BLOG. Give it a read!

After I found out about my dairy allergy over a year ago I started taking a vegetarian pro biotic. 3 months after I started taking it I noticed I was digesting food better and was not getting nauseous anymore.
I'm sure people who are reading my blog are thinking that I take a lot of supplements. All I know is that they have worked for me and I'd rather be taking supplements and allowing my body to heal and work on it's own then taking medication that has to be continually adjusted to the correct dose.

2 comments:

  1. Supplements can definitely make a difference, I take loads too and I'm sure they help. It can just be tricky to know what ones are right for each of us as we're all different. I spent a lot of money on a naturopath a few years ago who I later found our was not qualified and knew next to nothing about thyroid disease. I've gone on to do a lot of my own research and put together a programme of supplements that does help me, more recently I've found another naturopath who has made some suggestions that I'm going to try. As my doctor says, when hashimotos doesn't just resolve with thyroxine sometimes you need to try a few different things to get your health back and supplements can be part of the solution. I think Vitamin D has been particularly helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! We know our bodies best and I always think it's wonderful for people to do their own research and find out what works best for them. Vitamin D was very helpful for me too! :)

    ReplyDelete